Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Updated 20th March
With the situation regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak evolving daily, we are following the government guidance to ensure that we continue to act in the best interest of the people who live, visit and work in our homes.
Our Coronavirus Committee is meeting every day so that we take a proactive and flexible approach to our response and working practices in order to protect our residents and ensure they continue to receive the highest quality of care.
We will share updates with you as the situation progresses. If you have any questions regarding our plans to manage the outbreak of coronavirus, you can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visiting one of our homes
To prevent the spread of coronavirus as a company, we have decided to close the home to all non-essential visitors.
Before visiting any Orchard Care Homes service, please be aware that the following procedures are in place:
- All homes will only allow essential visits, this means for anyone who is extremely ill, on end of life or if it is a visiting professional
- If a visit is considered essential it will only be permitted for one visitor per resident and a maximum of 6 visitors will be able to access the home at any given time.
- Access to communal areas is not permitted for any visitors.
- No visitors under age of 16 years old will be able to access the homes.
- Any staff, visitors or contractors who display flu like symptoms (specifically – shortness of breath, fever, cough or cold) will not be able to access the homes. NHS England guidelines states anyone with mild symptoms must now self-isolate for a minimum of 7 days.
- If visiting is permitted, a health declaration form must be completed on every occasion and hand hygiene procedures followed before accessing the main home.
- All deliveries to homes must be left at the door/drop off point and delivery people must not access the homes.
- Contactors will only be able to access the homes for essential works on a pre-agreed basis.
- All external entertainers/performers and hairdressers will not be permitted to access our homes.
- Our IT team are currently looking how they can apply Skype to the laptops in the homes which will enable visitors to speak with the relatives.
- In addition to all of the above, all visits will be permitted at the discretion of the Home Manager/Operations Director.
- Our Support Centre in Harrogate will not allow any visitors until further notice, where possible we will use Skype or conference calls for all meetings.
Staying in contact
We know this is an uncertain and worrying time for everyone, and the “social distancing” and safeguarding measures we have in place for visiting the homes, while necessary, go against our nurturing instincts as humans.
We are working hard to support the use of technology to allow video calls to take place over Skype or FaceTime to help with this. Our Facebook pages are a great way to see what our homes are doing and for keeping up-to-date on everything your loved ones are doing.
Our residents (and staff) would also love to receive cards, letters, pictures etc from you and your family/friends, so please do send them to us.
We have dedicated Activities Co-ordinators in our homes and all staff are going above and beyond to ensure our residents continue to enjoy themselves and take part in engaging activities. Our activities packs are full of fun games and activities for both in the home or in the garden to keep everyone laughing, smiling and healthy.
Staffing and recruitment
The work of all Orchard Care Home staff is critical to the COVID-19 response and therefore all of our colleagues are granted the Key Worker status. This ensures that we can maintain our staffing levels as those with children are prioritised for education provision.
We are working with our staffing partners to make sure that we can maintain the wellbeing and safety of our residents in the event of any member of staff needing to self-isolate.
With many people all around the country finding their work situation changing, we're delighted to be able to offer long-term and short-term opportunities to join us. You don't even need any prior care home experience, just a passion to make a difference to the lives of the older people in your community - we'll provide the rest! Find out more about the roles available and how to apply here: https://orchardcarehomes.com/news/immediate-job-opportunities-at-orchard-care-homes